The Kentucky Mining Institute was organized on Saturday, July 6, 1940 at the Department of Mines and Minerals offices in Lexington by a group of thirty-three men from the various mining districts in Kentucky.
The following is the original resolution of that first meeting:
Be it resolved that the main purpose of this institute shall be the coordinating of the excellent work now being done by the several district institutes in the State in the way of safety and better mining through education, to encourage safety education among officials and employees in and around the mines, and to cooperate and pledge our full support to the State Department of Mines (and Minerals) in order to bring about a more uniform reduction in accidents in the coal mines of the State through the exchange of ideas, statistics, and the exchange of good mining practices.
James Bryson was elected temporary chairman, and the following individuals were elected as the first officers: E.R. Price, Inland Steel Company, Wheelwright, President; Floyd Wright, Southern Mining Company, Insull, First Vice-President; Paul Jones, Mining Engineer, Madisonville, Second-Vice President; C.B. Jackson, Blue Diamond Coal Company, Blue Diamond, Third Vice-President; A.D. Sisk, Big Sandy-Elkhorn Coal Operators Association, Pikeville, Secretary-Treasurer.
The Kentucky Mining Institute has been highly successful since its creation in carrying out its purpose, which is detailed in Article One of the Constitution and By-Laws:
Copyright © 2000 Kentucky Mining Institute
All rights reserved, E-mail: email@example.com
Design & Hosted by Mining Internet Services, Inc.